Prevention is Key When It Comes to Fires
Fires will always happen, but we prefer that you personally never have to experience one! If you do, click here for tips on what to do until help arrives.
Fires devastates homes and businesses and cause damage in numerous ways. Not only is fire destructive, but it also leaves behind lingering and pervasive odors. Furthermore, your home or business may also have extensive water damage that results from the firefighter’s efforts to extinguish the flames. The professionals at SERVPRO® of Hardin/Larue Counties have the specialized training, equipment and experience to make it "Like it never even happened".
To increase the odds that you’ll stay safe, consider these common causes of fire. Use this information to plan how to make your home or business a safer place:
- Cooking: Avoid splattering grease, never leave kitchens unattended and keep flammable materials away from heat sources.
- Heating Equipment: Have your furnace checked regularly and keep portable heaters away from combustibles.
- Smoking: If you smoke in or near the house, always make sure the cigarette butt is fully put out and make the bedroom off-limits to smoking.
- Electricity: Look out for frayed cords, the overuse of extension cords and overloaded outlets, and don’t run electrical wires under rugs or heavy furniture.
- Candles: Never leave them unattended and keep them out of the reach of children or pets.
- Children: Keep them away from matches and lighters to suppress any curiosity they may have about what happens when different items burn.
- Inadequate wiring: It’s often found in older homes and apartments. Have a professional electrician check yours.
- Flammable Liquids: Keep fuels, solvents, cleaning agents, thinners, adhesives, and paints away from heat sources.
- Holiday Decor: Keep your Christmas tree well-watered and away from heat sources. Check decorative lights for damage and never place candles on or near Christmas trees.
- Grills: Keep them away from your home, deck rails, tablecloths and tree limbs. And never use them indoors, including your garage.
SERVPRO® of Hardin/Larue Counties has the knowledge, professional equipment and ability to get you back to your life. Besides the easily accessible areas, we also examine wall cavities, duct work, crawl spaces and plumbing chases to establish whether they also suffered any smoke or fire damage. We ensure that all fire damage is cleaned, repaired, or removed and leave your home or business "Like it never even happened".